Sound that is un-RIAA-al



Musical Fidelity Nu Vista Vinyl Reference Phono Stage



You won’t see me writing much about phono stages and turntables in these blog pages sadly, because a reference phono testing setup is a delicate and expensive thing to maintain, and sometimes a downright pain in the ass.

I’ve got a job to do here, so I can’t be fiddling with cart loading while I listen for subtle changes or, gosh, bursting at the seams as we are I can’t even picture a testing space big enough to allow for pleasant and informative listening.

I won’t harp on it too much today, but my view is that a reasonable effort to base a system around digital yields just as good a music experience as a herculean effort undertaken for vinyl. It’s just where we are in the state of the digital art. It is not, however, any sort of dig at a playback method that has been refined and perfected over time.

When I test a phono preamplifier, instead of using a turntable to generate a signal, I have a cheap, clever little box that can reduce my digital line signal and remove its bass along the RIAA curve standard. Blasphemy, I know.

And when I hooked up this Musical Fidelity Nu Vista Vinyl reference phono preamplifier, I had one album in mind to listen to. Because Grant Gordy’s got only one album on Tidal, I’m firing up the eponymous Grant Gordy (2010) on Spotify via MP3.

Blasphemy!

Well, then why pray tell does this sound un-RIAA-al? Haha sorry. Wanted to try that joke out.

Why does this sound so good? This is jaw dropping. It’s not just the tonal richness — it’s the stereo separation (no holes in the middle, btw) and the imaging lock that is impressing me right now. But my God, the tonal richness. The frequency extension. The ease.

I’m about knocked out of my socks with this one. Bravo, Musical Fidelity. This is a true reference piece of gear, and not in name only. The opening to Grant Gordy’s tune “Mansa Sissiko” played through this device is a revelation, and played without this device is simply less emotional and special*.

If you have the space, the will, the ears and the tools to set up a truly satisfying reference phono playback system, I really urge you to audition this preamp! It can amplify 5 different arms at once, and has easy front panel cartridge loading and level adjustment. And speaking of audition, the packing materials simple and brilliant, and our 45 day return means you can really get to know it in your system with your music. Highly recommended.

*It’s still pretty special. Listen to this album!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diving in deep

New heights

Home on the (full) range